Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Best Moments of Sophomore Year, Part 1

The Old Oaken Bucket Game
Purdue-24 Indiana- 27

Award: "Best Sporting Event I've Witnessed"

There have been a fair share of amazing sporting events since I have come to IU, and a few of them have happened to my own Hoosier teams. Freshman year the football team knocked off then #13 Iowa and a good Michigan State team. We won a game against our rival, and my brotherly rival, Illinois on a last second field goal. Our basketball team had upset #2 Wisconsin in front of my own eyes at Assembly Hall. After so many awesome wins in my first year, I had no clue even better wins would be coming. I was wrong. On a perfect day in November, at Memorial Stadium, the Old Oaken Bucket returned to Bloomington.

Never have I seen, or may ever again, witness such excitement for an IU football game. The team was going for their 7th win, the most in over a decade and it was against our arch-rival Purdue. The stadium was sold out and the tailgating was bigger than ever before. And if you haven't seen IU tailgating its nothing like the lackluster following of the football team. It seemed everyone in the state had come out to watch. The cell phone networks were shotty at best, but my friends were here from IU and Purdue and the excitement was off the charts.

The game played in our favor for the first three quarters as we jumped out to a three touchdown lead. But the tides turned at the end of the third, and the Boliermakers mounted a comeback and tied the game with a few minutes left in the fourth quarter. The sure victory and recovery of the Old oaken Bucket were now and jeopardy and the fans were on the edges of their seats. But on fear, as the Hoosiers were not going to let this one slip away. They were playing for bragging rights and a bowl bid.

Then, with 30 seconds remaining, the Hoosiers just made it into field goal range and Austin Starr would attempt a 49-yarder for the victory. The ball was kicked, and I swear that it hung in the air for an eternity. 50,000 fell awesomely silent and the night air was no filled with even a breath. We sat there holding in our last gasp of air as the ball fell like a rock just over the edge of the crossbar. The kick, which we immediately though he had shanked, made it by less than a yard and the crowd erupted in an excitement I have once experienced in my life.

The final seconds of the clocked ticked away, and the excitement that had been bubbling ended with a rushing of the field. The Old Oaken Bucket was ours, and the night was left to party away. This weekend still rates as my most favorite I have had while at IU.


Our relief after the win.


Rushing the field.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope there are more parts but unfortuntately your record with blog posting isn't the best. Hopefully you will prove me wrong.