Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Sorry, Class Can Wait

So right now I'm just going to thank my teacher for those two lowest quiz grades he is going to drop from our grade. Those come in handy, and today I found out one more reason they are a great addition to any college syllabus. As I sat in geology today, having got there early, I received a call from my friend Leslie. This is how the dialogue went:

Mark: "Hey Leslie, what's up?"
Leslie: "What are you doing, come meet us right now!"
M: "I'm in class..."
L: "You are in class, why are you answering?"
M: "Well I'm waiting for class to start..."
L: "Okay, leave now, and come to 3rd and Washington, they are giving away free Dave Matthews concert tickets."
M: "Leslie, stop lying, its April 2, not the 1st.
L: "Just come, you want free tickets."

End of conversation.

So I did get up, hoping she was not lying. Free and concert always go so well together in the same sentence. I sprinted from 10th Street to 3rd street and over four blocks faster than every before. I always used to think it was far, guess its not when you got free tickets waiting at the other end.

It turns out that this has cause quite a stir on campus. Hordes of people are doing just what I was, putting down anything and everything and coming to wait in line. Luckily for me, when I arrived to the line stretching more than few city blocks, I had friends to cut in line with. TV crews were on the scene, and college kids kept coming from every direction. The sponsors of the free concert, the Bloomington Obama Headquarters, were ready for the deluge. The process went really smooth, with campaigners asking if you had registered to vote, handing out tickets, and allowing you the opportunity to register if you had not. Registration was not necessary.

So now I sit here with a free Dave Matthews ticket and one hell of a way to kick off Little 500 week. Now I'll take a zero on a quiz that will be dropped any day for a free concert. Thanks, Basu!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do agree that free concert tickets are a good reason to miss class. Of course there are a lot of reasons to miss class for me. Also, it's nice you have such good friends who thought of you and let you know about this. I have been looking for blogs at "On This Side" where you previously sent me. Little did I know you were here at "This dizzy life"

Anonymous said...

Though I'm not a DMB fan, free is free. When does KY vote? Will you be back home or will you have to file for an absentee ballot for the primary?